July 31, 2012

Reality Check

These last few days have strongly reminded me that I am only human. 

There are only so many things I can accomplish in a day. 
There are only so many disasters I can successfully avoid.
There are only so many minutes I can tolerate a certain toddler's tantrum. 
And, there are only so many hours I can spend playing with the kids, keeping the house clean and the laundry caught up. 
There are only twenty-four hours in a day.

Marriage and motherhood have brought out a lot of my own eccentricities:

I do not like instability; I am a planner, to-do lister, schedule-keeper. 
I dislike dirty dishes being left on the counter; they belong in the sink.
I despise white floor tiles; they never, EVER look clean.
White carpet, like new furniture, is my sworn enemy; it should never be put in a house with children.
Every family needs a toy room; it is essential to saving everyone's (a.k.a mom's) sanity.

But, it has also helped me to grow, and to treasure the small, quiet moments.

I absolutely love the smell of coffee in the morning; it is a breath of life.
I cherish the sounds of the kids laughing; it makes my heart soar.
I treasure hearing heavy footsteps coming up to the door; my love is home.
I adore having my sleeping babies next to me; it helps me remember that I am fulfilling my vocation.
I enjoy having an hour to myself more than I ever have in my entire life.

I have learned more about myself through marriage and motherhood than I ever could have hoped to learn on my own. Most importantly, I have learned how to be happy. I have learned how to be patient. I have learned how to serve.

No comments: