November 3, 2012

Planning

I've made it a habit lately to write down everything I did each day in my planner. I make to-do lists almost every day, but I find that what I usually end up doing isn't even on the radar.

It's a calming exercise for me: remembering, recording, giving thanks. It gives me the rare opportunity to reflect on the events of the day, to feel as though I really did accomplish something, that I made a difference.

I don't just record the big tasks, I try to record the small moments too. Everything from the errands I ran, chores I finished, people I called, remodel projects I worked on, funny things the kids did. Everything.

And, when I look back over the day, or the week, I feel like I've done something, like I'm living a purposeful life.

What do you do to help yourself reflect and remember?

No comments: