July 6, 2008

Remembrances -- dos

From where I sit, next to my little campfire, I can hear five different stages, featuring all different types of music. I listen attentively, making out lyrics and phrases as the sound waves carry them to my ears.

There are so many people here, and I am in a state of amazement. All come from different walks of life. Some are irreligious, coming simply for the hot, sweaty weather, the camping and the campfires, and of course the music. Others are zealously devoted, bearing shirts and attitudes that scream, "I'm the Christian the devil warned you about."

But, whichever persona you choose to take on, God is abundantly present here. There are moments that simply take your breath away. You feel His Presence in every person that you meet. You can feel Him moving in the wind, and the waves, and the clouds of dust. It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it.

It seems that, however slowly, He has been calling me back into His arms, His heart, for some time now. Everything I have experienced here so far affirms this, sets this idea more concretely upon my heart as the only course of action I could follow. I know that I will not be perfect. But, as St. Thomas de Sales so truly put it, "We must not be disturbed by our imperfections, since for us perfection consists in fighting against them."

No comments: